Friday, December 01, 2006

KOTHI: THE BUNGLOW

Once I went for a walk. Actually my friends had mentioned about a Kothi (A Bungalow) to me. I was really excited at the prospect of going to the Kothi. Do you know when I reached the place mentioned by my friends; I went straight towards the Kothi. I was drawn towards it. It was exactly like the Kothi in my village. Same beautiful courtyard, same walls, same windows and doors. How can that be possible? Hope I am not dreaming. What is happening to me?!! The ground seems to be slipping beneath my feet!

Perhaps this is a dream. Arrey! Where are the people of my village going? Oh yes! I remember. There is a Mela (fair) in our village. So all must be going to the fair. The village fair is an annual feature and everyone from the village goes there. The fair which takes place just on the outskirts of my village is attended by all villagers whether they are Hindus, Muslims, Sikhs or Christians. There is no discrimination on the basis of religion. Anybody from the village can visit the fair. But do you know why we have a fair in our village. Yes the reason is because we have a beautiful Kothi in our village.

Long ago Kings and Queens used to visit the Kothi. And later the responsibility of maintaining and taking care of the Kothi fell on the villagers. . The villagers organize the fair every year to celebrate their togetherness. Arrey Rahim uncle look at Pradeep! He is sliding on the swings up and own. And look, Anthony uncle is giving gifts to Aslam! Wow! What nice clothes everyone is wearing. Even I am so happy. I am glowing with happiness. Do you all know? If anybody gets married in the village, the marriage takes place in the Kothi. In fact all good and positive things happen in the Kothi.

The fair is finished. I can’t believe it. It just started. Arrey! Arrey! What’s happening to me? Why I am feeling so dizzy. What has happened? Why are the people sitting in four different corners of the Kothi? Why has Rahim uncle left Pradeep’s hands? He will fall down! Arrey listen! Listen to me! Please listen to me! What is happening? Why are they dividing the Kothi in four parts? Please somebody tell me! This is my Kothi! My courtyard! Why are you dividing it?! Please do not divide me! I will die! Listen to me! You are my murderers. You are cruel and heartless. Leave me! These are my last breaths. Please do not do all this. Stop it! Do not kill me! Have pity on me! I am dying!

What was I seeing? Was it a dream or reality? Oh it was only a dream. Hope it does not turn into a reality. How can this possibly happen. This cannot happen. I won’t let this happen. Not just me but everybody will save the Kothi. This Kothi is our Nation and our Strength. Please, please stop this storm before it destroys everything. We have to be united and be together.

“Jo lete hain naam mehzab ka, bhool jata hai rishta mohabbat ka Jo lete hain naam insaniyat ka , unke saath rishta hai mohabat ka. Sahi harr cheez apni jagah parr, jutlana theek na hoga. Lekin lehrayega jhanda yakjah ka jab tak saath hai unke meet aur jeet ka”

Rehana Class IX
Sopore, District Baramulla, Kashmir
(The original story was in Urdu. Translated to English by Raashi Bhatia, New Delhi )

No comments: